Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our Story

Here is the post that I promised. The post that tells you all how we were lead to Gateway Woods. This may be a long one. Just want to warn all of you! :)



It all starts about a year ago, I had received an email from a friend who was teaching at Gateway at the time. She just said that they had an opening for Alternate Houseparents and just thought of Dustin and I. She said that she just wanted to pass along the thought. I mentioned it to Dustin and got no response. So, I thought that this was not the time. About a year later, Dustin had been in contact with a close friend who lives at Gateway and she said the same thing as the friend had before. This time was different for Dustin. He felt like he should pray about it and then talk to me. He was praying one day that if God wanted us to look into this that God would show him something. He opened up to the Potter and the Clay. He really felt like God was wanting him to be the Clay and allow himself to be molded.



We were in the kitchen one day talking and he brought this up to me. He asked me if I would consider praying about it. I told him yes, but in the back of my mind thought that it would probably never become something that we would really do. We really didn't talk about it much for several days.



The Sunday morning after he had talked to me about it, I prayed that God would speak to me sometime throughout the day at church if this is what he wanted us to do. I prayed this somewhat halfheartedly because it can be very hard for me to concentrate at church do to two small children. ( I will not mention any names! :) ) That afternoon Libby was sitting with me and was being so good and entertaining herself. We were reading in Isaiah 6 and in verse 8 God is talking to Isaiah and asking Who am I going to send? Isaiah then says, "I will go send me!" That was like the voice of God speaking to me. After the chapter the minister then starting talking about going to do what God calls us to do, and how we should just go do it and not ask why or have an excuse on why we can't.



On the way home I told Dustin about that and he told me that he was feeling the same way. So we began the process of applying for the position. Through this time, we both kept reading things in the Bible that supported our decision. We both felt at complete peace about this. I had never expected for God to work this way in our life, but we are so excited he is leading us to Gateway.

We will miss our family so much, but knowing that we are doing God's work makes it so much easier to leave. We are excited to follow God and take us where he leads!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I had NO IDEA!! What a neat testimony for why you are going to Gateway. You two will make wonderful alt. houseparents. Keep us posted. If you don't mind Im going to add you to my blog list.
Let me know if you would rather me not.

sarah said...

Can I come visit? I'm off to get a Mt. Dew for my "It's Friday and I let myself have a can in the afternoon" party.